Monday 25 October 2021

Carnage Was Nearly An Avenger?!

 

Sadly, Venom: Let There Be Carnage still hasn’t been released in my country, so I’m still riding that pre-viewing excitement for the film. So, I figured why not go all in on throwing out Carnage posts (I may not get this chance again) and detail a few MC2-related Carnage appearances that I’ve yet to discuss.

 


Firstly, and I can’t believe I missed discussing this one previously, but thanks to the MC2 A DAY blog, I was reminded that Carnage technically makes his first MC2 appearance in Spider-Girl #44 in a flashback to the events of Spectacular Spider-Man #217 where Peter Parker teams up with Ben Reilly to take down the symbiotic serial killer.

 



Secondly, and for now probably finally, did you know Carnage was nearly made a member of the Avengers of the MC2 way back in What If #105? It’s true, as evident from this early concept sketch by Ron Frenz for the Avengers cameo scene in the issue where we can see him alongside The Vision, Speedball (here known as Ricochet), the original Juggernaut, Jubilee and Thunderstrike. I imagine the implications of this cameo would have radically altered the MC2 going ahead! Interestingly, we don’t learn the identity of the person bonded with the Carnage Symbiote here either, so it again might not have been Cletus Kasady.

 



Just a nice quick post for today. Hopefully you haven’t noticed a huge dip in my output lately, as I’ve tried to bank a few posts for release this month. That said, I’m now officially tapped out. If there’s any specific topics, you’d like to see me cover on the blog, let me know!

 

Until I figure out the membership policy over at the Avengers Compound, I remain

 

frogoat

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, odd that Carnage's cameo in Spider-Girl #44 would be silhouetted when him appearing in any fashion was mentioned in the teaser.

    Tom DeFalco even confirmed that there was suppose to be a panel with Ben in his Scarlet Spider identity that didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, are you referring to the solicitation information when you say Carnage was mentioned in the teaser?

      Delete